Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Glutton for punishment...

As if I didn’t have enough on my plate, what with work, finishing out the school year with the moneysuckers, cycling, running in an upcoming triathlon relay in May and wedding planning, I decided to throw one more stick in the fire and sign up again for boot camp. Fitness boot camp, that is, much to my duly betrothed’s chagrin. He does not care for me torturing my body in this fashion. He prefers punishment through steep, torturous climbs.

Two of “my” attorneys wanted to do it and so, since I had done it before, I got roped in. It started bright and early Monday morning at 5:15 a.m. in the pouring rain, outside for almost an hour and a half. Good times. If you’ve never done a boot camp, you might want to check out this link for perspective http://www.gobootcamp.com … it’s over an hour of constant running, pushups, plyometrics, abdominal work, arms, legs, etc… a full body thrashing, not for the faint of heart or the sane, really.


I’ve always been a firm believer in strength training and have kept in above average form (you know, for an old, washed up mother of 5)….but devoting these past months to cycling has let the arms/chest/abdominals go a bit. I’m feeling it today. I cannot laugh without my abs seizing up on me, my triceps feel as if the knife should not be removed, lest I create more damage. These guys do a good program, it's tough, physically risky sometimes if you don't force yourself to let up, but very motivating in that you truly are mentally challenged to go beyond your physical threshold.

If the rain lets up and we actually do ride tonight at Donaldson…I’m in for a treat. It’s only 6 weeks…this too shall pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment